Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Easy Doesn't Do It


Easy Doesn’t Do It
  
I just picked a book from my shelf by my long-time-friend, Derric Johnson.  The title is this blog’s title.

When I was learning to drive, I suppose I heard my Dad say to me a thousand times, “Easy does it.”  That applied to putting pressure on the gas pedal, on the breaks, and just about anything else I was attempting to learn as a new driver.

In skill development, perhaps we need to rethink this axiom.  I’m a writer.  Writing is sometimes hard work.  I can sit for long periods of time searching for the next idea and that, for someone who was a former attention wandering individual, is hard work.  Thankfully, I’ve learned that this patience thing does pay off.

I am a drummer.  “Easy doesn’t do it” does not apply when playing the drums.  It’s takes stick control, muscle control, an incredible inner sense of timing, listening, a sense of appropriateness, and selecting the right equipment for the right moment and song.  That’s not easy.

My son-n-law is a builder of homes.  He doesn’t, on a whim, say “Today I’ll build a three-story home on this site”, and tomorrow it is erected.  It takes months of planning, permissions, drawings, conversations, ordering supplies, and timing it all down to days and hours of deliver and accomplishment.

No one ever said life is easy.  You want easy?  Fry an egg over-easy.

You want rewards and satisfaction in your work?  Plan, practice and do the hard work.  And after completion, after success begins knocking on your door, then you can say, “That was a piece of cake.”


Thoughts for Improving
Whatever Needs Improving!


P Michael Biggs
Words of Encouragement
Words of Inspiration


No comments:

Post a Comment