Wednesday, April 27, 2016

What Imagination Needs

Imagination and creativity are sisters at heart.  They are both elusive, sometimes scarce entities and creative types are constantly in pursuit.  So how do we attract imagination?  I am a writer and creator and I constantly seek that.

I think sometimes imagination and creativity can go stale.  Speaking for myself I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever think another creative thought again.  Here is what I know thus far.


Imagination needs noodling - 
long, inefficient, happy idling, 
dawdling and puttering."
~Brenda Ueland


I can relate to this.  Can you? 

Some of my best ideas that make it into print are thoughts, single words, phrases from a longer sentence that come to my mind while doing other things.  I’m a reader, and I read for content and ideas.  And sometimes that well goes dry too.  Perhaps it is the state of mind in which I find myself

I do know that when I detach my brain from the task at hand and noodle, as Brenda says, suddenly an idea will squeeze into view.  Sometimes it is so subtle that I must quickly capture it or it flees and may never come again.  Thus the ever-present Moleskin notebook that hides in my pocket 

So, the gist of this – imagination sometimes needs a break.  It needs to chase butterflies and rainbows, and along the way, voilĂ , an idea comes forth that holds a moment of freshness and perhaps brilliance.

Give your imagination a rest. 


P Michael Biggs
Words of Encouragement
Words of Inspiration


No comments:

Post a Comment