Saturday, October 24, 2015

One Good Practice Day

Today, perhaps, was one good practice day for you and me.  Tomorrow may be the day from hell, but today … today was good.

Today I wrote well, I swung my club with ease
and accuracy, I used my bow with such fluidity, and the slide on my trombone seemed to glide on angel’s wings.

Today was a good practice day.

And that makes all the difference. 

When I have a day like today, it helps me face those tomorrow’s when I seem to have two left feet, when the strings sound like demons instead of angels, when the ball slices to places I’ve never been and never intended to go. 

If I can string enough good days together, I think I can master this thing called talent, or skill, or craft or whatever it is one might call what I do.

I will always remember – on good practice days nothing else matters.

Absolutely nothing.


Michael Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment