Saturday, October 10, 2015

Just Show Up

Today is my day to write five blogs.  Now is the time that I have set aside in my schedule to do this.  Thursday nights is another night that I specifically devote to writing.  Sometimes the ideas flow well, and at other times I question whether I am a writer at all. 

And I show up.


And so should you.  If you are like most individuals who practice some kind of craft, not every day, not every session and not every stroke is to perfection. 

Yet we show up.  We show up and apply our hand to our craft in an attempt to make it better.  We strike the tympani head one more time, we pluck the harp string again and again, and we choose our trusty nine-iron for yet one more swing in pursuit of perfection. 

We start our work with discipline and diligence, and then we wait for inspiration to show up.  Everyone loves inspiration.  Playing an A-scale is easy when inspiration abounds.  I can write like Hemingway when inspiration shows up.

And I write anyway.  I show up and do the task at hand because that is what I do.  I hope for inspiration, yet I practice diligence and discipline.

And so should you.

The main point is this:

Just show up.
  


Michael Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment