Thursday, January 3, 2013

Role Models


There is a tip in the book The Little Book of Talent that says this:  


Tip 1
STARE AT WHO YOU WANT TO BECOME

Allow me to make an application for you and your child.  Everyone needs role models.  Role models do exactly that - they model a behavior or performance that we ultimately want to adopt for ourselves.  
by clicking HERE!

It is true for piano students.  Find some good short videos of excellent pianists in whatever genre they like and invite them to watch and listen.  By watching others perform you are instilling the concept of "If s/he can do that, I can to that."

When I (Michael) was a young high school drummer, I listened to Dave Brubeck's recordings and tried to emulate his drummer's solos.  I went back recently and watched a YouTube clip of Joe Morello, Mr. Brubeck's drummer, and it struck me how much Morello had influenced my own drumming style.  

Carolyn loves to listen to the musical brilliance of Diana Krall; a performer who has inspired her to try new improvisational riffs on the piano. 

Here is the critical principle:  

Emulate good and wholesome role models. 


Carolyn Biggs
206-226-5693
csbiggs@gmail.com
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Musician

No comments:

Post a Comment