Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Fresh Word on Courage

(This is a post dealing with skill development, whether you are a musician, sports participant, business owner or budding artist.  The logo implies music, yet these ideas are transferable to all endeavors.  Thanks for reading.)

Courage has been described as many things, and they all have a ring of truth in them.  Let’s consider one more version of courage.

 It takes courage just to show up and be seen.  A thousand thoughts enter my mind in situations like this, and perhaps you recognize some of these.




Will they like me?
 Will I embarrass myself?
  Will they laugh at me?
   Will they talk about me behind my back?
    Will they accept me?
     Will I say something stupid?

You see, we show great courage when we just show up.  We stick our collective necks out; we dare to show that we have enough bravery, enough courage to at least try.  And in the trying, who knows what will happen?  

Sometimes we win. 

The huge thing is this – we prove to ourselves that we can survive the experience.  We aim for a goal and we show up and take a whack at it.

I faced such a dilemma at work this week.  A customer called and wanted to talk about a product with which I had little experience.  I talked the situation over with my partner, and with his coaching we came up with a remarkable plan and my customer is interested.  I had to confront my lack of knowledge.  I had to jump into the pool of learning and become teachable, and I’m still alive.  I even have a chance of landing this client.  It took courage and I faced it. 

Imagine the boost this experience has been to my sense of facing a fear and coming out on the other side of courage as a winner. 

For what do you need to show up? 

As the song goes in Beauty and the Beast
“Screw your courage to the sticking place.”

Show up.

Have courage!



Michael Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment