Saturday, January 9, 2016

Road to Creativity

(This is a post dealing with skill development, whether you are a musician, sports participant, business owner or budding artist.  The logo implies music, and these ideas are transferable to all endeavors.  Thanks for reading.)

Want to be a creative type?  Perhaps I can give a wee bit of insight.  I’m going to base this loosely on a text found in the Bible, but this is not a Bible lesson.

The Steps:
Ask and you shall receive
Seek and you shall find
Knock and the door shall open unto you


Ask:  So you want to be creative.  That’s good.  Ask yourself “in what particular area do I seek to be creative.  Ask of yourself or ask of others – and include God if you are inclined toward a spiritual part of your life.

Seek:  Once you know in what vein you wish to be creative, and then seek out others who demonstrate that kind of creativity.  A person can learn a lot from mimicking others.

Knock:  Now is the time to try your hand at the creative process.  Knock on the door of your own creativity.  You may be lousy at first, but who cares.  Repeated effort is what improves skill.

Let’s bring this all together with a personal story.

I write six blog posts every week.  When I started I feared I would soon run out of ideas, and then what? 

The last blog site I created is called A Time for Rhyme.  I have long admired Shel Silverstein’s clever and unique way of writing and drawing.  One day I asked myself, “What if I were to write in a style like Shel? 

The next logical step was to seek out Shel Silverstein examples.  I now have almost all of his books and am making a serious study of his comedic writings. 

And then came the knocking part.  I actually knocked on the door of my own creativity and applied my hand to the process of writing some poems in Shel’s style. 

I may never be discovered as a serious comedic poet, but honestly who cares.  I am in pursuit of my own creativity and I state up front that these poems are for fun, they are silly and they are full of nonsense.  That is my chief aim in life with this blog site – to create fun, silly nonsense.

I am well on my way in this creative endeavor.

And now it is your turn.




You will be amazed at what you discover.


Michael Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment