Saturday, November 21, 2015

Watch the Pro

(This is a post dealing with skill development, whether you are a musician, sports participant, business owner or budding artist.  The logo implies music, and these ideas are transferable to all endeavors.  Thanks for reading.)

When is the last time you watched a pro do what you do?  This is something I endeavor to do frequently as a writer.  In my case, I expose myself to other writers, those far superior and more successful than I.  I can learn a lot from a pro, and so can you.

As a young drummer I would slow down the speed on my trusty turntable and play drum rhythms by Joe Morello and Gene Krupa until I was able to do a fair job of mimicking their style.  It is amazing how much these guys influenced my own drumming style. 

Who catches your eye in your field of interest?  Study them.  Watch them.  Listen to them. 

See what they have that you can use, and then make it your own.

A pro can teach a person a whole lot, if the student is willing.

I’m willing.


Michael Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment