Saturday, September 19, 2015

Have Fun

Sometimes we lose sight of the ‘fun’ aspect of practicing our craft.  If it isn’t fun, then what is it all about?  And I do mean that.

I am a writer – four books published, and six blog sites on which I write every week.  One of those blog sites is A Time for Rhyme.  It is a poem site and has nonsensical, silly, and sometimes ridiculous poems that I’ve written.  It is not meant to change anyone’s life.  It is just fun.  

F U N

When is the last time you had fun with your
talent?  Perhaps you are a master craftsman on the violin, or at golf, or soccer or any other activity you pursue.  But do you have fun?  Fun is a state of mind.  It is an attitude of “I’ll do this and enjoy the journey.  I’ll make mistakes and learn, and try some new things as I go along.”

I played a bit of golf in my younger years, though I was never a great golfer.  What made it worse were some of the players with whom I played.  These guys were better at hitting the ball, had better clubs and really practiced their art of golf.  Me?  I was there for the fun of the game.  I enjoyed being outdoors, being with friends and taking a nice stroll around the golf course.  And occasionally I might even hit the ball.

You would have thought it was the Master’s Tournament they way they tried to coach me, prompt me, correct me, and when none of that worked, they resorted to mockery.  On more than one occasion I was reduced to tears as a youngster on the golf course. 

That is NOT a picture of having fun.  That is torture.

So, whatever you pursue, be sure and add the ‘fun’ element to it.  Neil Gaiman is a writer whose words I love.  He reminds us of this.

“… and don’t forget to make some art.  Write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can.  And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”

I LOVE that.

That gives me license to HAVE FUN!


Michael Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment