Friday, September 13, 2013

Did I Win?

Skill development is not a race to see who comes in first.  Skill development is all about best effort and learning along the way. 

Our two annual performances, Ivories and Ice Cream and New Years, New Tunes  are more about demonstrating what has been learned so far – never about outperforming another student. 

Again this week we dip into Carol Dweck’s book.  She says
this …

“’Did I win?  Did I lose?  Those are the wrong questions.  The correct question is “Did I make my best effort?’”

Carol continues … “If so, if you made your best effort, always remember this.  You may be outscored but you will never lose.”

I really like that.  It’s all about “best effort". 

Help develop this concept in your child and you will instill a lifelong, valuable character trait.

Carolyn Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment