Thursday, March 7, 2013

Positive Reaches



I heard Denis Waitley, motivational speaker, author, and performance coach says this:  “It takes the brain 47% longer to process a negative thought than it does a positive.”

Daniel Coyle, in The Little Book of Talent, says this.

“Always focus on the positive move, not the negative one.”

Daniel goes on with this example:

“A violinist faced with a difficult passage should tell herself, “Nail that A-flat,” not “Oh boy, I hope I don’t miss that A-flat.”

For my piano students and your child, consider this.  A pianist facing a challenging passage should say, “I’m going to play that passage perfectly and smoothly,” not “oh no, here is that passage I always have trouble with.” 

Our closing thought is another Daniel Coyle quote.
“The point is - it always works better to reach for what you want to accomplish, not away from what you want to avoid.”

It becomes a mindset. 

Good Mindset
     Positive Mindset
          Effective Mindset

Carolyn Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Child

No comments:

Post a Comment