Thursday, September 11, 2014

See a Pro

My friend, Richard, reminded me of this principle this week.  This is for any of us in pursuit of “better”.

Do you want “better”? 
Better skill
Better speech making
Better piano playing
Better drumming
Better selling
Better parenting

Whatever your pursuit might be in the “bettering of your life”, the main idea is this – go and see a professional do what you aspire to do.

Learn from the best.  Buy the best seat you can afford and go see the show. 

Be amazed.  Be wowed.  Be impressed.  Be inspired.

And then mimic what you saw until you make it your own.

As a young drummer, before the days of YouTube, I listened to the Dave Brubeck Quartet often.  I learned some of my best drumming methods from Joe Morello, Dave’s drummer on the Take Five album.

A year ago, thanks to YouTube, I watched Joe play that famous drum solo.  Later, I remarked to Carolyn how much Joe’s playing had influenced my own drumming style and had never realized it until that particular moment.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

And it’s a great way to learn from the best of the best.



Carolyn Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student


No comments:

Post a Comment