Thursday, December 12, 2013

Owning It

Earlier this week I had a conversation with one of my middle school students.  I’ve got to tell you, one of my greatest delights as a teacher is the privilege of coaching/nurturing/supporting students- especially ones whom I have journeyed with through most of their lives.   So, this recent conversation confirmed a passage of time and my student’s new opportunity for growth. 

Like most middle school students he is wrestling with the challenge of owning self-discipline.  It’s so tempting to avoid those tough sections of music and use the allotted practice time to play what is already learned.  

We talked through strategies, and I trust he left with a sense of empowerment and determination to make good use of his time and focus on progressing in those difficult places.

Owning self-discipline is a practice that can be encouraged at any time.  Helping your child recognize those opportunities is a really good thing – one of the many ways we as parents are able to come along side our children.

Carolyn Biggs 
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student



No comments:

Post a Comment