Sunday, November 24, 2013

Putting Success and Failure in Perspective

I love success...and winning.
Failing or losing never feels good.  

But what is success and failure?

I could consider myself a success by my ability to play a Level 5 book with ease.  However, I know my capability is beyond Level 5; setting a goal below my competency - is that a picture of success?

Not by a long shot.

Success
Success is aiming for a goal that is just out of reach but not out of sight (learning to play the original piano composition of Rhapsody in Blue).  I see what I am aiming to accomplish, and by stretching, practicing and honing my skills I will someday achieve it.  That is the success mindset.  

The act of setting and reaching low level goals is not a good measure of success.  It is the stretching and achieving that adds self-esteem and the thrill of victory.



Failure
A good look at failure reveals this:
We need more practice
We need better defined goals
We need more information
We need to slow down
We need to grow in incremental steps

Just because a student has failed at something does not mean she/he is a failure.  This is perhaps the most important principle of this blog.  



My husband, Michael, is fond of saying:  

“Failure Is not Final”



Your child’s failures can lead to success when gently nurtured along with a healthy dose of reality... “Okay you failed.  What do you need to do differently next time?  What can you learn from this momentary setback?”

The fixed mindset says:  

“Success means smart.”
“Failure means dumb.”



I hope you will consider this:

Success is incremental.
Failure is a learning opportunity.



Carolyn Biggs
Steps and Skips
Tips for the Developing Student

No comments:

Post a Comment