Friday, August 2, 2013

The Food of Love

"If music be the food of love, play on."
~Rafe Esquith

Okay...please bear with me for a brief moment while I climb on my soapbox. 

Somehow, our educational system has determined that when money is tight the easiest thing to erase from the budget is creative arts...music, drama, visual.  (It often becomes an "elective" - which means students have to choose to extend their school hours in order to participate).  When that happens the implications deeply impact every student in it’s' wake.

I'm off now.

I picked up a new book this week; Lighting their Fires, by
Rafe Esquith.  It is inspiring and renewing my love for teaching music.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  

Mr. Esquith, a fifth grade elementary school teacher (of 25 years), is having a tremendous influence on the students he teaches.  His methods are not according to the whims of educational administrators.  But his passion for helping kids learn core life skills is transformational.  And, by the way, he believes much of that learning occurs through the arts. 

I LOVE that.

So, hopefully there's enough summer reading time left to fit in one more book.  I believe it will provoke important thought and conversation on behalf of those amazing children you nurture daily.

That's the beauty of art--we strive 
for perfection  but never achieve it.
The journey is everything.
                                                                 Rafe Esquith   



Carolyn Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment