Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Painting Outside the Box


Painting Outside the Box

When I was a small boy, I begged my pert, neatly dressed little friend if I could color in her coloring book.  He name was Kay.  She reluctantly agreed.  I went to work. Picasso look out.

Evidently my art work displeased her.  She said, in effect, “You’ve ruined my coloring book.”  You see, I colored outside the lines.


Seems I’ve been doing that a lot in life.  If I had followed my upbringing, I would have stayed in my hometown, never gone anywhere much, worked at some job that may or may not be satisfying, and lived my life never to discover this writing thing with which I am consumed. 

So, I painted outside the box.  I became a drummer.  My dad was a minister, and he was sure I would end up playing my drums in some less-than-respectable places.  I drummed anyway.

I found my voice through music, marketing, brochure content work, video producing, and ultimately writing. 

I wasn’t supposed to get into those things.  They just came along and I said “Yes”. 

In my reading and spiritual pursuits, I suppose I’ve painted outside the lines in some of the authors and speakers I’ve followed.  For me, they have enlarged my thinking.  They have stretched me and my understanding of God and this lovely world.  I painted outside the box.

What is painting outside the box?  Why, its daring to go where we’ve never gone before.  It’s crossing a line or two just because we can and just to see what is on the other side.  That could be a dangerous thought, I suppose, but in a creativity context, I think you get what I mean.  I’m not saying “Be stupid.  Break the law.”  I’m saying “Try a different way of seeing things.

Some people say, “look at the world up-side-down.”
Some say, “take a walk and write about or paint the obscure, the oblong, the bizarre, the odd, the out-of-shape. 

I don’t know what “Painting outside the lines” means to you, but for me, it is a fresh and creative release to try and see what I might be able to do.

I never knew I could write poetry until April, 2014, when I started A Time for Rhyme Blogsite

Bottom line, creativity comes in a variety of ways.  Find what works for you, even if it means painting outside the lines.


Thoughts for Improving
Whatever Needs Improving!


P Michael Biggs
Words of Encouragement
Words of Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment